Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Dobre

Am on my writing genes again where I felt compelled to at least write about something significant that happened to me. 

It's always amazing how a simple word you said, an introduction to your background, a simple utter of promise could be such an impact on others. 

In this case, just telling people where I was from.

Way back when I was working in Yellowstone (4 years ago!??), I got to work with people from various backgrounds and cultures, many which makes me wonder how come people from my part of the world seemed to work way harder than others, until she came by. Perhaps it was after a tiring few weeks at work that anyone who is willing to stay a little longer at work would be my new best friend. And she did! It was so nice to finally found someone who clicked so instantly, who feels what you felt at work and who is as capable as you hope others would be, Ag was my bestie at work and that made working wayy more fun. We used to talk about everything, especially about cultures and sort and it was sad that I moved to the dinning room to work after where I got to work with her significant other, M. It meant that Ag and I could only meet when its meal times but still, we've always seemed to be able to find things to talk and share about,

La-di-da... the summer passed and then it was time to say goodbye, it was pretty hard for me, having to say goodbye to one of my bestie. They held a wonderful farewell party and it was such a cozy one, it was so surreal. I was the only Asian that night, it was not just a privilege, it was so nice to get to see how people of different parts of the world hang out together, casually. Reluctantly, we bit our goodbyes that night, promising each other that we will eventually meet up again someday, at our respective countries or sort. It was a brief promise, where I thought like most farewells, promises are just words uttered out of reluctance... 

4 year swoosh by... And poof! In comes a message saying that Ag and M will be coming to visit Malaysia! Months passed and finally they arrived! I was so truly happy and honored to meet them again! It was like a dream come true, knowing that they traveled for almost 2 days just to come and pay your said country a visit.

I really can't describe how it was like spending that few days with them, but it was no where near being awkward and strange... I guess this is how it is like, meeting people who clicks with you. Even though you all haven't met for years, things just seemed to be fine, like the four years didn't happen and things seemed so casual like we met regularly.  And oh! To have someone being as in tuned with broadway musicals as you!! It was super fun to listen to a song that makes your heart melt with someone else who feels the same when she listened to it! 

They told me that no one in their country would ever visit Malaysia as most have never heard of this country, and if it's not because of me, they won't either. I was so touched. They saved up just to come to this part of the world, to a place of unknown, a place that is so different from where they came from and they accepted us just as well. 

We barely went anywhere together but I can remember that the time spent with them, are like gold. 

It's been a month, and I still am fascinated by how is it that people from different part of the world can feel so comfortable with each other. Their visit really left me in awe with the coincidences that the Lord can create, thinking about the odds of us finding friends in each other in the world of 7.2 billion people. 


Am still fascinated by it. Now, I just hope that next time it will be my turn to fulfill my part of the promise! 


My current jam..

🎵In My Blood - Shawn Mendes

No comments: